This fish poison tree grows extensively throughout northern Australia and is often found growing near watercourses. Although it can grow up to 4 metres in height it is commonly seen as a rather spindly wattle of about 2 metres. The tree can be distinguished by its curled, dried up seed pods and grey-blue or silver leaves. The young leaves are extremely soft to touch.
The bark, leaves and green seed pods are crushed and washed in water to poison fish. This poisoning takes about half an hour to have an effect in a reasonably large pool of water. The . . .